Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Gimme da Bon!

I am unsure if I should be telling you this.

Let's make it our little secret.

You see, I likes da Bon (as we have come to call in my house).
Recently, I have been "Bonned" on a regular basis.
and I like it.

and one of the things I like about da Bon is that it is a hidden jewel. Uncrowded. Unpretentious. Oh, and also good.

So, as a one-time-only deal, since noone reads this anyway, I will tell you.
But don't you go and tell anyone else, mmmm'kay?

Bon Savor in Jamaica Plain.
You must go.
Just not when I am waiting for a table, mmmm'kay?

Here's the scoop:
Bon Savor, located at the corner of Centre and Pond Streets in Jamaica Plain has seemingly changed kitchen hands recently, and this is for the better. I was a bit bummed when they stopped serving breakfast daily, since I had enjoyed the upscale omelets, crepes, and fresh veggies. But now, with Bon Savor's being gently reincarnated as a French-Latin-fusion bistro, I don't miss those eggs one iota. In fact, better to enjoy the wares of the poached chef (Marco Suarez, formerly of Eastern Standard) than similarly prepared chicken ova any day. (If you can't stand it, remember that they still serve brunch of the weekends.)

In the past few visits to this sweet little space I have tasted, sniffed, tested... all up to snuff. Amazing, nummy and light ceviche (I have ordered this twice in a row, it is that good) with a little bread and wine is a meal in itself. I broke fown and tried the house-made pate terrine with crusty bread - this was paired with a strawberry mustard, a perfect bit of vegetable pickle, and a smile. I liked it so much I ate the leftovers for lunch with some frisee. The lovely, rich, and satisfying Coq au Vin appetizer had a gorgeous nutmeg note and was perfectly cooked. French Onion soup was adequate, but not great - hearty, though, and a more generous serving than T could finish, which is really saying something.

and more.

fairly priced wine list, and very pleasant, capable, and not-at-all-overbearing service. Actually, I love the chilled-out Euro-style service here, which, admittedly, may not be for everyone.

Luckily, neither is this review. So no sharin'

If you plan to go to Bon Savor, call me first. I'll join you.

No comments:

Post a Comment